Waking up R412 board on pass by

What I want to do is wake the R412 board up when an individual carrying something which broadcasts a signal is detected.

They pass the board and it wakes up and sends the location details for the board via GPS. So I’m looking at a send and receive mechanism that wakes the board within a certain proximity.

Does anyone know if that is even possible?
If so what sensor and what will I use to broadcast a signal to wake the board?

Hi Jon,

There are a LOT of options here. It all really depends on what your requirements are. Do you want extreme range? Do you want to have a batteryless solution from a user perspective? Do you want it to be “sneaky”? Etc.

If you want to do something proximity based on an unaware user you should probably look into something like bluetooth scanning.

Regards,
Thom

Hi Thom,

I want someone who is walking down a corridor to remotely switch on the board as they pass. They need something like a transmitter that sends a signal to the board to switch on when they get in range. The board activates and broadcasts its location via GPS.

There must be a remote transmitter and a receiver that plugs into the grove connectors?

Hi Jon,

How close does the user need to be?
If really close is acceptable I’d say something like RFID.

Or something alike.

If you want longer range, you can consider using a Blueseeed.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Blueseeed+grove

Regards,
Thom

Imagine a corridor in a building. Slightly larger than at home. As the person approaches the board it triggers and broadcasts the GPS signal. The wider range the better but it needs to be functional. If the corridor width is 3 meters then I want the board to detect the passing of the person and not miss them.

Hi Jon,

Based on the information you’ve given me I’d say using the Blueseeed is your best option here.

Regards,
Thom