U-blox SARA-R410M freezes

Hi,
I’m experiencing a problem with a SARA AFF equipped with u-blox SARA-R410M modem - firmware 02B-01 : few seconds after startup, the modem freezes and does’not respond to any command - even a simple AT.
I devoloped my software on a card equipped with SARA-R10M , firmware 02B-00, and it worked perfectly.
I did’nt find any workaround except a blog stating that this problem could be solved with a modem firmware upgrade.
Is it corract ? and, please, could you give me assistance on the issue ? Where do I get the firmware and which procedures to apply?

Kind regards
Alessandro

Hi @alelig,

Please send an email to info at sodaq dot com and ask for the firmware files.

Best regards,
Jan

There is a power saving setting which disables the UART after 6 seconds of inactivity. The modem can them be woken up by further UART activity.

The setting is AT+UPSV which can be disabled with “AT+UPSV=0”.
Also you might want to disable PSM using “AT+CPSMS=0”.

It is possible that some of the default settings are different with a new version of the modem firmware.

Hi,
I’m still struggling with the SARA that stops working.
Following your last advice I checked +UPSV and CPSMS and they are =0 by default; I submitted anyway the commands but the comunication freezes in any case after 6 seconds.
I bypassed the problem toggling the SARA Off and On again before every communication session and it stays alive accepting AT commands.

Now the problem is that I can’t get any Network Service trying to use nb-iot network.
I have an older SARA R410M 02b-00 firmware version L0.0.00.00.05.08 [Apr 17 2019 19:34:02] and it works perfectly.
The new SARA is 02b-01 firmware version L0.0.00.00.05.12 [Oct 08 2020 15:00:01].
I use the command AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“nb.it.vodafone.iot” and get a valid ip address with the old card, and never get a valid ip address with the new one - using the same SIM.
I got the latest firmware update from Sodaq and the file is SARA-R410M-02B-01-L0 0 00 00 05 08.dof.
Prior to try a firmware flashing, do you have some advice ?
The file name received means rev 05.08, right ? why my new card is 05,12 ? should I flash an older firmware on the new card ?

Kind regards
Alessandro

Hi @alelig,

No you should NOT flash old software on the new board. ,A.02.19 is the current latest version.
This page is up-to-date: Overview - SODAQ Support pages

I will have a look why the old firmware is still sent to customers when they ask for the latest.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @alelig ,

I fixed the issue.
You should have received the latest firmware files from our ticket system.
Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Best regards,
Jan