Sodaq ONE and 4.2V Lithium-Ion batteries

Hi there,

I’m no expert in this, but from what I gather from the schematics and datasheet of the charge management controller (MCP73831), it should be possible to operate the Sodaq ONE from a 4.2V lithium ion battery. Am I correct in this assumption, or are there caveats I’m missing?

Regards,
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

4.2V is no problem for the Sodaq One.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for confirming this! And charging the battery from USB, would that be an issue?

Regards,
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

The battery can be charged over usb or solar/external power source.
Is your batter 3.7V ? Then full it’s 4.2V

A 4.2V battery will also have a slightly higher voltage when it’s full.
Make sure when a battery is 100% charged it does not exceed 5.5V, the charger prob will charge up to 5V since this is the output of the usb.

Regards,
Jan

Hi Jan,

I did not know 3.7V is actually 4.2V charged. I know for a fact that this battery never exceeds 4.2V when fully charged, so it is compatible with a 3.7V lipo.

Thanks!
Vincent

Hey, I am using the SODAQ ONE Base board which has the correct plugs for Lipo battery and Solar cell. But can anyone tell me where to find documentation for that board?

Hi,

Information about the base can be found here:
http://support.sodaq.com/sodaq-one/sodaq-one/
Scroll down to base orientation and antenna.

More information about the battery / charge can be found here:
http://support.sodaq.com/sodaq-one/battery/

Best regards,
Jan

Hi,

I have the solar panel attached to the Sodaq ONE rev4 with a 503562P 1200mAh LipO connected. It is placed in full daylight (not clear blue sky) but in 2 a 3 days the battery is empty. I am running the SodaqOne Universal tracker and sending every 5 minutes.

If I place a voltmeter on the panel it is (in light) 5.1V. I think this should be enought to keep the board powered during the day?

Cheers,
Oscar

Hi @okneib,

The 5.1V from the solar panel is enough to charge the battery or run the microcontroller.

Do you have the debug to usb enabled? This might be the reason the battery drains fast.
Also the GPS consumes a lot of power.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan,

Thanks, I think debug was enabled. I’ll give another try with some added logging on the application to monitor the battery status.

Regards,
Oscar