Slow connection to network?

Hi,

I’ve had the Sodaq SSF for a while, but had to put the hobby project to a side for a while.
I’ve also got the Sodaq ONE and this is working well for me via LoraWAN. It sends out a update very 5 min and charges via solar. It’s been doing this for around 6 months now, which is awesome.

I want to try to get the same setup but with the SSF and over mobile network. I know that this will be tricky because of battery usage.

I’m using the Sodaq Universal Tracker (GitHub - SodaqMoja/Sodaq_Universal_Tracker) and have made some modifications for myself for the LoraWAN implementation.
I’ve now loaded this onto the SFF.

I’m using a hologram SIM card at the moment and use the R412 radio which is 2G. The reason for this is that where i want to deploy this device, there’s no NB-IoT or LTE-M yet.

What i’m struggling with is how long it takes for the SIM card to get a network. It can take a few minutes and with the fix interval set to 1 minute (for testing) i tend to get an update every 4 or 5 minutes. That means the device is constantly “on” and doesn’t go into sleep mode at all, which is a problem for battery power usage.

I’m wondering if others have the same experience, and if there’s a way to make this work faster/better.

Hi @cyclops1982,

Do you have the latest firmware version on the R412M?

Do you have the battery connected, also while testing with the USB attached?
Is the battery fully charged?
Due to the high power demand of a 2G/GPRS connection powering the device with just the usb attached can result in failing to connect or long attach times.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan ,

Yes, firmware has been updated.
Will try with battery, but first results seem to be the same.
I do get timeouts on initial AT commands - do you recognize that? is that normal?

How much of this is down to the network used? I’m using hologram in the UK, that should be ok - but i guess O2 on LTE would be better. How can i troubleshoot/understand that better?

Regards,
Ruben

Hi @cyclops1982,

If you get timeouts at the start, that’s correct.
When the module is powered we send AT to check if the modules is booted up.

When you have the debug enabled, the AT commands and responses should be able to give you some information about what is going on and where we should look to solve your connectivity issues.

You can find all the AT commands here: SARA-R4 series AT commands manual (u-blox.com)

Best regards,
Jan