LoRaWAN performance - issue when in motion?

Hi!

We are making a proof of concept using a bunch of Sodaq ONE. At the moment we are using a gateway (Multitech Conduit IP67 base station with a fat Laird 3db antenna) mounted “ok”-ish on my chimney, 47 m above sea level, but with a bit of trees around.

Tomorrow I intend to try some other devices - but I am slightly wondering about the issue that has been mentioned earlier - that the Sodaq seems to fail transmitting when in motion. Do we have any news on that aspect?

regards, Göran

Dear Göran,

There are no problem with the Sodaq One and sending in motion.
Where was this issue mentioned?

Regards,
Jan

Hi!

The issue was mentioned here:

… but I didn’t see any response on this aspect. I did dig out that SF12 has issues with speeds above 38km/h (doppler effect), and SF11 around 70 or so. Perhaps that was it? I intend to test with some other LoRa devices to compare. We have 7 Sodaqs I think.

regards, Göran

This was the article exploring LoRa under speed:

regards, Göran

Dear Göran,

I have no issues with high speeds on the Sodaq One, I got a Sodaq One in my motorcycle. 81KM/h and sending on SF12. Image below is from this morning. We also did a test in a small aircraft flying more then 200km/h and packets are send and received by the network.

I am using the Dutch KPN network. KPN may have better gateways then the people who have issues.

Regards,
Jan

Interesting information! Did you check the link to the article? Perhaps higher speeds on SF12 are handled ok if you always have a few gateways perpendicular to your line of travel (mitigating the doppler effect).

But nice to hear anyway. I can however note that if I drive from home (where the gw is placed on my roof) and off a few km I get very few sends going through. But if I stop the car and sit for a few minutes, in any particular spot it seems, I get a frame through.

Note that this is our private network with just a single gateway.

regards, Göran

I experienced the same here. Because of moving and the doppler effect the gateway needs to be closer / more gateways in range.
When I traveled to Germany the network stopped receiving messages a few kilometers from the border. ~8km from closest gateway. But when I stopped at the tank station it was received again on 20km+ by 6 dutch gateways.

So it’s safe to say that the Sodaq One keeps transmitting on higher speeds. It all depends on where the gateway is to be able to receive the signal.

Yes, I probably expressed myself a bit sloppy. I didn’t mean to imply the Sodaq wasn’t transmitting, but that somehow the gateway has more trouble receiving the signal if the Sodaq is moving while transmitting.

It seems that SF10 has a much better chance of “getting through” while moving - than SF12. At least that’s what I think I am seeing, and perhaps it’s simply the doppler effect causing it.