LoRaONE invalid parameters

Hi there,

Yesterday the Kickstarter kit was delivered and unfortunatelly the SodaqOneTracker application does not work.

Using the Arduino IDE version 1.6.10 I pulled the tracker sourcecode from the GIT repository.
Compiling goes well but downloading to the board only seems possible when the red LED is lit.
This can be accomplished by pressing the RESET button on the ONE Base board. Only then the USB connection is recognized.

After resetting the board again, the serial monitor of the Arduino IDE reveals:

Settings:
Fix Interval (min) (fi=): 15
Alt. Fix Interval (min) (afi=): 0
Alt. Fix From (HH) (affh=): 0
Alt. Fix From (MM) (affm=): 0
Alt. Fix To (HH) (afth=): 0
Alt. Fix To (MM) (aftm=): 0
GPS Fix Timeout (sec) (gft=): 120
OTAA Mode (OFF=0 / ON=1) (otaa=): 0
DevAddr / DevEUI (dev=): 0004A30B001AA555
AppSKey / AppEUI (app=): 00000000000000000000000000000000
NWSKey / AppKey (key=): 00000000000000000000000000000000
Num Coords to Upload (num=): 1
Repeat Count (rep=): 0
Status LED (OFF=0 / ON=1) (led=): 0
Initializing LoRa…
The parameters for LoRa are not valid. LoRa will not be enabled.
** Boot-up completed successfully!
The USB is going to be disabled now.

Note that the text block preceding “Settings:” is not output like in the tutorial on the support website.
And the last line reveals the reason why the USB connection only is enabled shortly after pressing the reset button.

What did I do wrong or was there a required step that I missed?
Do I need to set the parameters and if so, where and to what values?
I can dive into the source and probably hard code values and have it precompiled and uploaded to the board but somehow that does not seem the right solution to me for a NOOB upload.

Hope someone can help me get the tracker on track. If I need to provide more details, just let me know.

Hi Corbo,

You only get about 30 seconds to start entering values for the settings. You do this in the ‘entry field’ in the top of the ‘serial monitor’. After the 30 seconds, the USB connection will be closed and you will not be able to change the settings. Every time you enter a setting… the 30 seconds start again.

In order to ‘let it start’, you have to set the AppSKey/AppEUI and NWSKey/ AppKey. If these are 0, the device will not initialize lora and try to get a fix.

Regards,
Harm

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the guidance.
I managed to change the 0’s to 1 for both the configuration parameters. However, the same error exit message appears:

AppSKey / AppEUI (app=): 1 NWSKey / AppKey (key=): 1 Num Coords to Upload (num=): 1 Repeat Count (rep=): 0 Status LED (OFF=0 / ON=1) (led=): 0 Initializing LoRa... The parameters for LoRa are not valid. LoRa will not be enabled. ** Boot-up completed successfully! The USB is going to be disabled now.

I am afraid I missed part of the documentation on the site. E.g. I didn’t knew I had to change those particular parameters let alone that I know to what I should change it; oké ‘1’ is not zero but is it correct?
Are there any further doc’s?

Cordially
Cor

I guess you already found: http://support.sodaq.com/sodaq-one/tracker-software/ . That’s basically the documentation there is.

Regarding the keys… No, setting them to 1’s is not the way to go. There must be some checksum between the DevAddr, AppSKey and NWSKey. They should belong together.

I am using The Things Network and registered an application on https://staging.thethingsnetwork.org. For this application, I registered a Device, selected ABP for it and from this Device’s ABP settings, I used the Dev Address, Network Session Key and App Session Key (field labels on the TTN site).

If you do it like that the SodaqOne will accept the settings and ‘start Lora’. Then it will try to get the GPS fix. If it gets a fix and you have a TTN Gateway close you will see messages pop up in the Messages box on the TTN site (just make sure you switch Relax Frame Count on as each time you restart the SodaqOne, it restarts the frame-counter. TTN ignores frame-counters that it has already seen if Relax Frame Count is switched off).

Hi Harm,
Your instructions seem to work, the device is now accepting the values. Next thing is trying to get in touch with a TTN station to see if any data is being transmitted.
Thanks for your assistance. Without them I would not have come up with the idea to register it using the TTN generated values. It’s a learning process…


Cordially
Cor