LoRaONE + e-ink display (mapping problem)

Hi, im currently trying to wire an e-ink display (https://www.embeddedartists.com/products/displays/lcd_27_epaper.php) to the LoRaONE but I get stuck on connecting the ports. How to program the SCL, SDA, MOSI, MISO ports? Also when the SCK port is connected to the SWCLK it wouldn’t upload at all. Someone here can help me because I have been working on this for 3 days now.

Are you going to use SPI (MOSI, MISO, SCK & SS/CS) or I2C (SDA, SCL)?

The SPI bus is available on JP1 on the following pins:

MOSI = pin 4 (schema label AIN18)
MISO = pin 6 (schema label AIN16)
SCK = pin 3 (schema label AIN19)
SS/CS = pin 5 (schema label AIN17)

Schema: http://support.sodaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LoRaONE_rev_2.png

On the LoRaONE Beta, the I2C pins of the main bus are not attached to the header pins.
I will be adding a second I2C bus using one of the spare SERCOMs and two of the header pins.

1 Like

I use the SPI bus and it’s working! Many thanks for the explanation.

Hi, Gabriel! Could you please give me a favor and provide the same information for SODAQ ONE.
I am doing the same for other e-paper with 4-line spi.

Here are the SPI pins (select the appropriate variant in the Arduino IDE):

SodaqOne Beta / LoRaOne
D4: MISO
D5: SS
D6: MOSI
D7: SCK

SodaqOne
D8: MISO
D9: SS
D10: MOSI
D11: SCK

SodaqOne with Base
D8: MISO
D9: SS
D10: MOSI
D7: SCK

Gabriel, thank you for the prompt response! It was helpful. I still have some points unclear.
I assume, my e-paper display connects using following pins:

Disp — SODAQ ONE

VCC — 3.3V
GND — GND
DIN — D10 (SPI MOSI)
CLK — D11 (SPI SCK)
CS — D9 (SPI SS)
DC — (???) Data/Command control pin (High for data, and low for command)
RST — (???) External reset pin (Low for reset)
BUSY — (???) Busy state output pin (Low for busy)

Q: which pins on SODAQ ONE must be used for last three pins on display?

I believe you can use any remaining available IO pins for those pins.

Just specify the pins you are using in the line which declares the E-Ink class instance.
If you look at the examples that come with the library, you can see that those pins are defined in the sketch.

Note, for the SPI pins in the sketch, you should use the SPI pin names (e.g. MISO, MOSI, SCK & SS). The digital pins listed above are for reference as to which physical pin to connect the wires to.

Also you can really use any pin you want for the CS/SS pin, as when the board is in master mode, this is simply an IO pin for signal activating the connected slave device/peripheral.