Channel Frequency in Australia

Hi,

I’m trying to connect with a Soda ONE (RN2903) with a gateway here in Australia.

The server operates on 8 channels 916.8-918.2 so I’ll need to turn some of the 64 channels off. Looking at the documentation and the results of “mac get ch X freq” that don’t seem to match what I expect. "mac get ch freq 0” gives me 902300000 and "mac get ch freq 63” gives me 914900000 both of which are below of the needed frequency range.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Justin

For the RN2483 (EU 863-870MHz) you would use the following commands to configure the channels:
RN2483 Command Manual: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/40001784B.pdf

Set Channel Frequency

mac set ch freq <channelID> <frequency>

Set Channel Duty Cycle

mac set ch dcycle <channelID> <dutyCycle>

Set Channel Data Rate Range

mac set ch drrange <channelID> <minRange> <maxRange>

Set Channel Status (enable/disable)

mac set ch status <channelID> <status>

On the RN2903 (US 902-928MHz), only these MAC channel set commands are supported:
RN2903: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/40001811A.pdf

Set Channel Data Rate Range

mac set ch drrange <channelID> <minRange> <maxRange>

Set Channel Status (enable/disable)

It seems the reason for this is that the channels on the US 902-928MHz band are set at specific frequencies, additionally, the duty cycle appears to be a specific requirement of the EU 863-870MHz band.

The details can be found in the LoRaWAN specification:
https://www.lora-alliance.org/portals/0/specs/LoRaWAN%20Specification%201R0.pdf

You can test these commands with a serial pass through, just make sure to send the line endings as well (CRLF).

Don’t forget to save any changes using Save

mac save

Hi,

As I said above it’s a RN2903 so can’t set the frequency. Any suggestions? I’m not going to be the only person to have this issue in Australia.

Thanks,
Justin

1 Like

According to the LoRaWAN specification, the Upstream channel frequencies for that band exist between 902.3MHz and 914.9MHz and the Downstream channel frequencies between 923.3MHz and 927.5MHz. See section 7.2.

I do not believe there is anyway of changing the channel frequencies.

You can modify the frequency range by disabling (using the set status command) the specific channels which are outside the frequencies you wish to use.

The can be any value between 0 - 71.

For channels 0 - 63 the frequency can be calculated by:

freq = channel * 200000 + 902300000;

For channels 64 - 71 the frequency can be calculated by:

freq = (channel - 64) * 1600000 + 903000000;

Although it is not listed in the documentation, could you try the set frequency command the RN2903.

Set Channel Frequency

mac set ch freq <channelID> <frequency>\r\n

The specification requires that the channel frequencies, of that band, are fixed. It is possible that the command is not supported and has not been implemented due to certification constraints.

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for the help sadly the “mac set ch freq” command fails. The Australian ISM band is 915-926 Mhz (vs the US ISM band which is 902-928 Mhz) so I guess I need to wait until there’s some new firmware for the RN2903.

Thanks,
Justin

1 Like

Just ran up against the same problem. Like you Justin, I’m sorely disappointed this was not common knowledge. Seems a nasty limitation that the channel frequencies are not adjustable, particularly since the radio is so freely adjustable.

Have you found a solution? The only two solutions that occur to me are:

1. Operate illegally using the USA bands.
  2. Re-write the RN2903 firmware (borrow some RN2483 firmware?) to add support for mac set ch freq. Could be quite an undertaking…

HI,

No not found a solution yet or an update to the firmware, hopefully it’s just a matter of time and it will be fixed.

Thanks,
Justin

In the datasheet for the RN2903 MicroChip state that it is compliant for the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. However, it appears that the firmware is locked down to the specific channel frequencies for the USA.

Perhaps MicroChip might have an unlocked version of the firmware that they could provide. However, it seems at this point that the current firmware binary isn’t even available, neither is the source code.

I rang Microchip Australia yesterday. I was shocked when the guy that answered the phone knew exactly what I was talking about. He was able to confirm our fears - it’s simply not possible to configure the RN2903 to operate on the Australian frequencies. He apologised profusely - the final Australian frequencies weren’t available at the time they were releasing the firmware, so they didn’t make it. They thought they had put that info on their website, but it might have got lost.

They are working on a new version of the firmware. They hoped it would be ready last month and are now hoping it’ll be ready by the end of this month. So a solution is on the way but for the time being, operating illegally is the only option for the RN2903 in Australia. Not sure how well that’s going to work, since the band is allocated to GSM and in common use, but what can you do?

1 Like

Thanks for doing that @Heath_Raftery
I’ve got a pile of RN2903 modules sitting here that I can’t do anything with, but admittedly I’ve also been too busy to follow up on with MCHP.

Is there any official statement from SODAQ on this?

I spoke to Microchip today. They are closer to having Australian firmware ready for the RN2903. No release date yet, but I will touch base with them next week as well to see how it’s progressing.

2 Likes

Any further update maj? I’m at the point where either it’s ready or I abandon ship. If you haven’t heard, I’ll give them a ring shortly.

Good news :smile:
Microchip Australia have offered to reprogram our existing devices to the new firmware (which is currently in beta).

They have asked my company (Meshed Pty Ltd) to act as a co-ordination point to receive and resend the modules.
If you’re interested, send the module to me this week (Address is on our website http://meshed.com.au/contact/) and I will return it with AU firmware.

For anyone reading this after 21-Oct-2016, send me a private message.

Hi All,

I have been asked to comment here by a parter of ours. As we have signed off on the Alpha testing for the M-Chip RM2903.

I can confirm that we have the ability to re-flash the RM2903 to the AU 915-928.

We can do this free of charge for developers.

Should you have any questions regarding LoRaWAN please feel free to contact me or if you need access to GW’s for testing we are happy to help as we are LoRa® Alliance members we can point you in the correct direction.

Cordially,

Tim

Or send them to Tim - either way :smile:

Hi Heath,

RE: RN2903

Just letting you know that the re-flashing of the device will be with LoRa® 1.01 not LoRa® 1.02.

This will be a change the LoRa Alliance® will be making.

In the meantime you can use 1.01 on compatible Gateways.

Thanks Andrew. As you know we are always happy to help. :wink:

Great to hear. I was going to send ours off to Andrew tomorrow so he can batch send them to Microchip, but there’s a couple of weeks turn around there. Are you willing to do them directly Tim? We only have 3 at the moment (1x SODAQ One and 2x Microchip DM164139) but will shortly be getting a handful more.

I think I know the answer to this, but I don’t suppose Microchip will release the firmware so we can re-flash ourselves?