AT+CFUN=1 gives Error

Hi

We have a problem with the SARAN211 that we was wondering if anyone else have experienced.

We have a unit that was installed 2019-08-23 and worked fine until 2021-06-02 when it suddenly stopped sending data. We checked the sim activity in our portal and could se that nothing was happening. We got the unit back from our customer last week after not being able to send any data for over four months!

We started debugging the unit and could see that it still was alive, but when it tries to send the AT+CFUN=1 command it received Error from the modem. We noticed that every AT command regarding the sim gives error, such as AT+CPIN, AT+CCID ect. If we change the error replies to numeric we get:

CME Error 50 on AT+CPIN?

CME Error 4 on AT+CFUN=1

We have had this problem before with a unit, and removing the sim and putting it back did not change anything. But when we removed the “broken” sim and put another sim in to the unit it started to work. After that we tried to put back the “broken” sim and then the sim started to work again.

Does anyone know what can cause this? Have anyone had the same problem?

We do not want to remove the sim on this unit because we need to find out why this is happening and if there is a way to resolve this problem if it happens again thru software change.

Modem version is 06.57,A09.06

Hi

Can Sodaq help us with debugging the problem if we do a Trace port log from the module? We do not have any support contact with Ublox.

Br

Kristofer

Hi @Kristofer,

I am not familiar with this issue.
I will forward your question to our u-blox contacts.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan

Can I send you the Trace log file so that you can forward it to Ublox?

Best Regards
Kristofer

Hi @Kristofer,

I got a response back.

It seems that the SIM is locked, the could be the result as a network issue due to a registration issue with the network. Can you update the module to the latest version?

AT+CPIN? This is a command for the N3 series, so indeed you get an error.
For the N2 you have to use AT+NPIN?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan

My mistake with the CPIN. We normally don’t use this command since the SIM:s from our operator doesn’t have pin on it. It was just for debugging purpose. I can test with AT+NPIN? command tomorrow when I’m in the office and see what the module responds.

This unit was installed 2019-08-23 and was working with no problems until 2021-06-02. We do not want to update the module, since we need to know what is wrong and if there is a way to getting the module working again. We have several units installed with this module and Fw.

I have a Trace log if the ublox support team want to se it.

Best regards
Kristofer

Hi @Kristofer,

Can you send the trace log to support at sodaq dot com?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Kristofer ,

I got a reply from ublox.
The trace shows there is an issue with the communication to the SIM.
Can you test if unlocking the SIM works, or if you have to replace the SIM?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan

AT+NPIN=0,“0000” gives ERROR

Best regards
Kristofer