Sara R412m firmware upgrade

In the support pages of sara you can read the firmware upgrade procedure. Soldering a usb cable to de device and connecting. But, is there a good reason aka are there known issues solved with the new firmware?

Is there a releasenote? I’m trying to get everything up and running but if there are issues I’ll upgrade right away… On the other side I’m not so keen on soldering so if there is no particular reason…

Hi,

The latest boards should all have the latest firmware version.
With the commands ATI9 you can see your firmware version.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi,

My firmware is: M0.03.00,A.01.01
So I’m afraid I’l be soldering… Can you please send me the new firmware and tool?

With kind regards,
Arno

Hi @great7ven,

Sorry for my previous reply. That was the latest firmware for the R410.
I don’t have the latest firmware version for the R412.
Please contact ublox for the latest firmware version for the R412, and get newer firmware versions in the future.
The update method is the same for the r410 as for the r412.

Kind regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan,

I’ve contacted ublox, they ask about the company I’m developing for. They stated they’ll need approval of the manager etc. etc. They also asked about the company I’m working for, when I replied I’m the end-user they were not willing to provide the firmware (because it’s not released yet).

Is it possible for sodaq to contact them, because they are already distributed it might work for you to get the latest firmware…

With kind regards,
Arno

Hi @great7ven,

The modules should come with the latest stable version.
I guess you have the latest stable verison, since they dont want to give you a newer version.

Let me know if you experience any issues with your current firmware.
I will let you know if I get a newer firmware version for the R412 module.

Best regards,
Jan

Hello,
Do you have any updates on the new release firmware for R412M?
We have successfully used the boards for a while, but they seem to have a connectivity problem that is manifesting very often. In some lines the connection is ok and HTTP requests to firestore are correct, but after a while (~100 min) the HTTP post is stuck and a timeout is received. When this happens the communication to the module is cut off, basically no AT commands are received by the Sara module.
Can this be a hardware problem? Did you experienced such problems?
Even the example code for HTTP post manifests this behavior.
Best regards,
Marian

Hi @Manusharian,

You can find the latest software version number here:
https://support.sodaq.com/Boards/Sara_AFF/#r4
Please send an email to obtain the firmware files.

The latest firmware version works together with our latest version of the library.

In the library you can find a http example.

Best regards,
Jan

Hello @Jan,
Thank you for your response! Where exactly should we send the email? To your company info@sodaq.com or is there another one?
We have the boards with penultimate revision of the firmware, and already ported the library you suggested, but in the last couple of days the connection drops and we often experience module failure (do not respond to AT at all after a timeout). That is way we believed it may be an incompatibility with the firmware.
Thank you!
Marian

Hi @Manusharian,

Yes, you can send to info@sodaq.com

Best regards,
Jan

Hello @Jan,

We received the last firmware for R410M and R412M. We tested the R410M but we have a problem with the new firmware. We successfully connect to the network and receive signal and IP but when we try to do a HTTP post or get the board cannot delete the file from Sara file system and afterwards we cannot do anything with the board unless a new firmware is written.
We wanted to receive from your side the penultimate version of the u-blox firmware for R410, and R412 in order to revert to the version that somehow worked, because in this moment we are unable to use the R410 board. Unfortunately your support sent me here for this request, so from where should we receive the old firmware (L0.0.00.00.05.06) ?
We did not test R412 since it will be harsh to be unable to also use the R412 boards, unless we receive the penultimate version to revert.
Thank you!
Marian

Hi,

looks like you better not upgrade the R412 boards. See here: Http_test not working with NBIoT

Is http post working with the older R412 firmware?

Thomas

Hello @thomas ,
Thank you for pointing that out! We use the boards withLTE-M network since in our country we do not have NB network available and we use the HTTP Post to a firebase function. The setup works, with some sending blockages (5 min off at 2 hours). That is why we wanted to also test them with the new firmware. But otherwise it is working ok on LTE-M .
Meanwhile, we found out that the problem is not the deletion of a file, but we lost communication with the SARA chip after connect. Although, we suspect that there may be problems with our SW, we still want the penultimate versions, which worked.
More to the context, we use the boards with latest FREE RTOS OS, and it seems that after the start of the scheduler no communication with the R410 boards is possible. Every AT command is met with a timeout, therefore we suspect that the communication with the board is faulty, or the boards is somehow in sleep after the start of the OS scheduler. The connection to the network is done on create task and is working.
Best regards,
Marian

Hello all,
We managed to solve the issue, it was mainly a “feature” of the new firmware. The new firmware puts the SARA into sleep mode if there is no communication on the UART for some time and, basically, when we wait for the HTTP response we call isAlive() function multiple time to keep the SARA chip active, otherwise it will go to sleep and the communication is stopped.
Thank you!
Marian

Hi @Manusharian @thomas,

The new firmware indeed is not fully backward compatible.
I still recommend updating to the latest firmware. Since all new modules also come with the latest firmware. I know it can be a pain to solve all the issues who come in the new firmware.

This is correct, I have made a note that I need to update the passtrough sketch and add documentation to disable PSM and eDRX.

These are the commands you need to disable them:

r4x.execCommand("AT+CPSMS=0");
r4x.execCommand("AT+CEDRXS=0");
r4x.execCommand("AT+UPSV=0");

This way you don’t need to send the isAlive() to keep the modem active.

Let me know if you have also other issues.

Best regards,
Jan