Increase Cow Tracker Spreading Factor

Our problem is, that the cattles with the cow trackers are in the forested mountains and it often leads to transmission failures.

We are looking for a way to solve this problem. Now the question arises whether an increase in the spreading factor from 7 to 8, 9 or 10 could help. This means more energy consumption, which could, however, be compensated by a longer send interval.

Does anyone have any experience with the SODAQ one settings, with the aim of less transmission failures?

Thanks for your help
Carol

Hi Carol,

To increase reliability you can do the following:

• Lower bandwidth
  • Higher spreading factor
  • Larger coding rate
  • Higher transmission power

All come with varying penalties.

The universal tracker supports setting the Spreading factor and and Transmission power by default. Try changing those (with higher interval, lest you get blocked from the network) and see what works best for you.
To change the spreading factor you can simply change the value in the menu.
To increase the transmit power lower the output index in the menu.

If you want to look into changing the coding rate and / or bandwidth see the datasheet here.

Page 48 - 2.5.5.4 radio set bw
Page 48 - 2.5.5.5 radio set cr
But I’d recommend sticking to the knobs you can turn in our menu unless these don’t improve your situation.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Regards,
Thom

Thank you for the great tips. I will configure several trackers differently and observe the effects on transmission failures and battery voltage.

In LoRaWAN publications I found that the ADR (Adaptive Data Rate) should be switched off, if the spreading factor is set higher than 7. Is that correct and reasonable?

Regards
Carol

Hi Thom,
your colleague Jan wrote in a topic from Mar 2017 (Maximum Power Output of SODAQ ONE's LoRa Anntena Connector?) that the default output index 1 already sets the maximum output of 14 dBm. I therefore do not understand your proposal to increase the output power?

Regards
Carol

Hi Carol,

The specification says 0 is possible, but that depends on local regulations and capabilities of the chip.
You can try if you’d like, but if my colleague said 1 is the maximum you can’t increase it any further.

Regards,
Thom