Firmware update fails at backup

Hi
I am in trying to install the latest firmware version for the R412M iM0.10.00,A.02.14. using Easyflash but it is failing with error ‘Backup failed’ as described here:

https://portal.u-blox.com/s/question/0D52p00008HKEDDCA5/sara-r4-usb-port-fw-update-fail

Windows shows that the device driver for Qualcomm HS-USB Modem 90B2 is up to date but the windows device connect/disconnect sound plays every 3 or 4 seconds constantly when the USB is connected to the boards u-blox module.

I’ve repeated the steps many times. I still have M0.09.00,A.02.11 installed as Easyflash won’t progress beyond the backup.

Has anyone seen and overcome this problem?

Thanks,
Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

This is a known issue when EasyFlash isn’t run as Administrator.

Best regards,
Jan

Thanks Jan but I have run Easyflash as Administrator on 2 different windows 10 laptops with different usb cables but the backup fails and I can’t get beyond it. Same behaviour on both.

I think it’s related to the USB connect/disconnect that is happening all the time. I’ve tried it with and without a battery connected to the R412M.

I connect the device to the laptop. The little yellow indicator light comes on, A few seconds later it goes out for a millisecond and the laptop makes a disconnect sound.

Its probably correct that a firmware update would fail if a connection to the device can’t be maintained, I don’t know if this is a hardware or software problem.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks,
Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

The battery should be connected.

It could be that the sketch is doing stuff with the R412M module.
Double press the reset button after you power the board, to disable the sketch and put the board in bootloader mode.

Make sure you use the correct usb port, the one with the arrow and “USB SARA module”

Run Windows Updates and let it install the drivers.
Did reboot the pc after installing EasyFlash? The drivers usually will be installed in a Windows Update after reboot.

Best regards,
Jan