Custom Cowtracker with Sodaq One

I like the look of the Zane zTag. We are concerned about how well a collar system will work with animals on open range with brush and fence posts. Please post your experience. If it’s positive, we may consider ordering one for testing. I think our next step will be to install an external gateway like the Lorix One.

Dear @wrldtvlr,

If you like the looks of the Zane Ztag, we made a similar board.
The modules we use are certified and antenna performance is well tested.

Thank you, Jan. I have been in touch with Pieter and we are looking forward to receiving a few V2 tags for evaluation later this year. In the meantime, we’re becoming familiar with the technology and related services on offer.

1 Like

Well, M2.5s are too small. Will try M3s…

For the inside it we use M2.5x8mm and for screwing the case together it is M3x12mm

Thank you, Jan. The M3x12 worked perfectly.

Hi Mateng…

I have received a Zane cow tracker, but haven’t been able to get it configured. The device does not have a physical interface. Instead, there is a magnet sensor that is supposed to activate a WiFi interface. Unfortunately that isn’t working for me. Have sent a request to Zane, but they haven’t responded yet.

Update: I was able to get the Zane tracker working. Seems the battery was not charged. :slight_smile:

Hi @mateng,

I suppose the LoRaWAN gateway, on top of the mountain, has a 3G Backhaul?
What brand/type of gateway do you use?

Vielen Dank,
Guy

hi wrldtvlr,

It is possible if you can share how you get to the tracker running with TTN.

Sure…

The tracker needs to be configured. I used the following settings:

GPS
GPS (OFF=0 / ON=1) (gps=): 1
Fix Interval (min) (fi=): 15
Alt. Fix Interval (min) (afi=): 0
Alt. Fix From (HH) (affh=): 0
Alt. Fix From (MM) (affm=): 0
Alt. Fix To (HH) (afth=): 0
Alt. Fix To (MM) (aftm=): 0
GPS Fix Timeout (sec) (gft=): 120
Minimum sat count (sat=): 7
Num Coords to Upload (num=): 1

On-the-move Functionality
Acceleration% (100% = 8g) (acc=): 20
Acceleration Duration (acd=): 0
Fix Interval (min) (acf=): 1
Timeout (min) (act=): 10

LoRa
OTAA Mode (OFF=0 / ON=1) (otaa=): 1
Retry conn. (OFF=0 / ON=1) (retry=): 1
ADR (OFF=0 / ON=1) (adr=): 0
ACK (OFF=0 / ON=1) (ack=): 0
Spreading Factor (sf=): 9
Output Index (pwr=): 1
Lora Port (lprt=): 1
DevAddr / DevEUI (dev=): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AppSKey / AppEUI (app=): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NWSKey / AppKey (key=): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Repeat Count (rep=): 0

Misc
Cayenne LPP (OFF=0 / ON=1) (cay=): 1
Temperature Sensor Offset (temp=): 24
Status LED (OFF=0 / ON=1) (led=): 1
Debug (OFF=0 / ON=1) (dbg=): 1

Then on the TTN portal, you will need to add the tracker as a device.

1 Like

hi @wrldtvlr,

Thank you so much. I finally manage to run my cowtracker online on TTN using your setting. However only for a while and then it goes offline again.

regards,

Aishah

Hi @Aishahn,

What was the last battery reading before it went offline?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan,

I did not use the battery during it went offline, I direct connect it to my laptop.

but after I reupload the board, i get Received PayloadSizeError from the module. I tried your solution that I found, which is this:

The payload does not fit in the SF10 of the RN2903 US firmware.
Turning ADR off and using SF7, 8 or 9 should solve the issue.

but I still can not solve the problem. I am using RN2903 AU firmware (HexFileImage2903AU_097rc7)

regards,

Aishah

Hi @Aishahn,

When for some reason the modem gets an error, it should the next time try to reconnect/send a message on the next interval when retry is enabled.

Retry conn. (OFF=0 / ON=1) (retry=): 1

How often do you transmit?
When you lower the interval, do you then still get the error?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @Jan,

I transmit it every 5 minutes. I did not try to lower the interval. May I know how the time interval affect the transmitting?

Regards,

Aishah

Hi @Aishahn,

With less then 2 minutes in between transmits you can run in duty-cycle issues. 5 minutes should be fine.

Did you get the PayloadSizeError when you did use SF7, ADR off with the RN2903 AU firmware (HexFileImage2903AU_097rc7) ?

Best regards,
Jan

hi @Jan

Yes i did. with sf 7,8,9,10,11, and 12. Fortunately, after i ack=0 i didn’t get the PayloadSizeError anymore, however the tracker still didn’t running on TTN. :frowning:

regards,

Aishah

Hi @Aishahn,

I have put it on the list to investigate the issue with the AU firmware.

I can take a while since we have to see where we can test these frequencies. We are officially not allowed to use these in The Netherlands. :frowning:

Best regards,
Jan

In an update I have marked the SA_103 as SA_AU_103 since the firmware is the same for South Amerika and Australia. I hope this version will solve the issues you have.

You can download the latest version of the updater here:

Best regards,
Jan